Yogic Cleansing - Purification
Yogis believed that one needed to purify the body
and clear any energy blockages by using the purification techniques called
Shatkarmas or Shatkriyas, as mentioned in Hatha Yoga text - Hatha Yoga
Pradipika and Gheranda Samhita before one could continue further on this
path. In Sanskrit “Shat” means six, “Karma” means actions.
The following are six purification techniques and their major benefits. In
each purification techniques, multiple methods, and variations are used,
but I choose those techniques which are easily
accessible to everyone and works best for the individual or group.
1. Nasal passages cleansing (Neti) - Makes respiratory system strong, effective in dealing with Asthma, sinusitis, bronchitis, hay
fever and pollen allergies and provides a cooling effect on excessive heat in the brain and relives from migraines. Improves memory and
2. Stomach Cleaning (Dhauti) - Beneficial on high acidity, allergies, Acid reflux, and asthma. Eliminates halitosis (bad breath)
3. Abdominal Cleansing (Nauli) - Awakens the digestive fire. It has a stimulating effect on metabolism, strengthens the immune system and is helpful for diabetes.
4. Intestines Cleansing (Basti)
- Purifies the blood, detoxifies the body, and helps to develop good digestion. Eliminates allergies
(e.g. hay fever) and skin diseases (e.g. acne, neurodermatitis or psoriasis). Helpful in springtime lethargy and has a balancing effect upon the mind.
5. Breath & Mind cleansing (Kapalbhati)
- Cleans lungs
removes excess mucus and heals respiratory disorders. Balances and strengthens the nervous system and tones the digestive organs. Energizes the mind for mental work, reduces mental chattering, sensory distractions, and removes sleepiness. Helpful for sinusitis.
6. Vision cleansing (Tratka) - Purifies the eyes, strengthens the eye muscles, and improves vision, memory, and sleeping difficulties.
Strengthens the ability to concentrate Develops intuition, the ability
to visualize and willpower.
Theory(Lecture)/Practice Ratio: 10/90Required Props:
Yoga Mat and Neti pot